Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Weekly Farmer's Market Report

I was delighted to discover my open air friends back in their usual places when I visited the farmer's market today. They said they were moved down to the lower end for cleaning the last two weeks and not very many people saw them. I have been trying to use more of the winter vegetables like cabbage, turnips, butternut squash, sweet potatoes and rutabagas. Today I found beet greens and spinach amongst the collards. I will post some of the recipes I have found and used. Coolest find today at the Wise Farms area: local strawberries! They are called Winter Berries. They are grown in a solar tunnel at Lewis Nurseries and Farms in Rocky Point, NC. They were $5 a pound (very amply filled container) and $9 for two containers. It reminded me that over the next few months we will have a lot more produce to choose from. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment