Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring has sprung, now what?

Like my pals Katie and Patti (maybe for the sake of this blog I should change my name is Danie, I feel so left out) I have been loving the fruits of springs labor. Anyone thinking of joining in the fun of The Produce Box, I highly recommend it. Haven't been disappointed a single week. However, I still hit up the farmers market to get additional favorite and items not included in the box, but I digress.

I would like to add one word to Pattie's declaration of "ASPARAGUS" and that is "ROASTED!" I love that stalky, green, skinny, goodness as much as I love my own mother, which either speaks volumes of my inappropriate relationship with food or not so great things about my mother. Have you seen my hips people? Asparagus, how do I love thee, let me count the ways. My favorite and go-to recipe for Asapargus, a vegetable so delicious it deserves the respect of capitalization, is a lovely roast. A light drizzle of olivie oil, kosher salt, and fresh cracked pepper, and you are good to go, that is until you pull it from the oven. After a quick roast and immediately after pulled from the oven I give it a quick squeeze of fresh lemon juice. It brightens up the flavor and brings an extra zaa zaa zoom to the dish.

Despite the infatuation with roasted asapargus I did decide to branch out and try some new recipes with last weeks delivery. I am here by recommending this 4 Fork recipe for Aspargus Pesto with Pasta. People, this dish will not diappoint. If it does disappoint your taste buds are broken and you should seek immediate medical attention. Aspargus, pesto, pine nuts, add a heaping helping of a hot dinner date and you are GOOD. TO. GO.

For additional information about my friend, Asparagus, go here. Don't even pretend you weren't curious.

2 comments:

  1. How long does it take to roast asparagus? I tend to overcook mine. Somehow my mother-in-law Patti cooks it perfect every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, yikes, this is sketchy part because I never know times or amounts...I just eyeball things. I would say if your asparagus is super skinny it would take about 5-7 minutes-ish. You want it still crunchy. If it's on the thicker stalk side give it a good 10-12 minutes. I also roast mine at 400.

    ReplyDelete