Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Fire's In Their Eyes And Their Words Are Really Clear

The farmers market doesn't disappoint. Guess what showed up last week, BEETS! I am not a fan of the gross canned beets found on the everyday salad bar, but a good roasted fresh beet is enough to make me cry. A few weeks back nearly licked my plate in public after eating a serving of beet salad at a baby shower. It was all I could do to refrain from taking my fork, making a run for the bowl, and beating off all other guests as I devoured every last bite. I am not even over reacting, it was really that good! After begging the hostess for the recipe she finally emailed it to me today. It is so getting put on the meal plan for this week. If you have tried beets before and not liked them, I encourage you to brave up and give this dish a try, particularly following the substitution of using fresh roasted beets instead of canned beats. It made all the difference, just beet it.

Beets and Caramelized Onions with Feta
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (preferably whole-grain or coarse-grain)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 lb onions (2 medium), quartered lengthwise, then cut crosswise into 1-inch pieces
2 (15-oz) cans small whole beets, drained and quartered (or halved if very small) I used fresh beets that I roasted in the oven instead.

3 oz crumbled feta (1/2 cup)
1/4 cup pine nuts (1 oz), toasted and coarsely chopped

Whisk together vinegar, mustard, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl, then add 3 tablespoons oil in a slow stream, whisking until combined well.

Cook onions with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes. Add onions to dressing, then add beets and cheese, stirring gently to combine. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts.

Gourmet
September 2003

3 comments:

  1. Fantastic! I've had to skip the beets because I have a beet hater at my house, who shall remain nameless, but it isn't me. Maybe this is the recipe to help him get over the only food item on the planet he won't eat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually made this last week and it is REALLY GOOD! I used the roasted fresh beets and skipped the pine nuts. Did the hubby like it? Drum rollllllllll......Yes! He did! Thanks DanaLee! :D

    ReplyDelete