Sunday, March 8, 2009

Good, Better, Best

I don’t set goals. I don’t set goals because I hate to lose, be wrong, or fail at anything. Pride much? So when I get those nudges from inside telling me to make some changes, I do it by lists. I make lists out of everything. In fact sitting next to me right now is a post it note that reads like this

1. Pick a topic.
2. Think it through.
3. Don’t be mean.
4. Post it!

So here I go with my first post giving some of my thoughts on our idea of having a virtual “enrichment”. I do not write because I am an expert or because I live some higher law of health and wellness, but because my inner nudger wanted me to make some life changes. I made a list. A list that is slowly making a difference in my lifestyle, helping to take me from good to better and best.

I thought I would review some of the items that have made my list in the hopes they will help you too.

Better: When deciding what changes I needed and wanted to make I had to do my research. Rather then just trusting advice from the cool people or whatever is currently being preached at the church of Oprah, I did my own research. Thankfully the Internet makes this process much easier and if you cannot commit to hours of reading, a few quick google searches and you can be on your way. Books that worked for me are listed below.

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A year of Food Life Barbra Kingsolver

I most appreciated this first hand account of how it actually worked for her family to eat local and seasonally. Now this family lived a higher level of commitment that I have given to this point, but it got me motivated and inspired about my first level of changes.

Simply Organic: A Cookbook for Sustainable, Seasonal, and Local Ingredients by Jesse Cool


My favorite tip I gained from this book was to organize my recipes by seasons. It is so fun to flip through a few weeks and see what yummy things I will be eating once those darn strawberries down the street are ready.

How to Pick a Peach: The Search for Flavor from Farm to Table by Russ Parsons

If you are a nerd a heart, this book is for you. Full of facts to realistically understand how to eat fresh from what is growing locally. It’s an encyclopedia of information and a gleeful read.

Best: NC is full of sensational farmers markets that make the purchasing of local foods so much easier. If you have not taken the 20 minutes to drive into Raleigh for the market you are missing out. Not only does it provide the opportunity to support our local farmers, but it’s a wonderland of flavors, colors, smells, and experiences. The outside portion of the market offers every manner of fruit, vegetable, and nut you can imagine. If you are confident in what you want, go any time. If you are unsure about how to cook some of the local favorites, go during a week day morning. The vendors have more time, it's less hectic, and they love to talk you through their crops. They have gems of wisdom, often generations old to share with you about picking good items and how to cook them!

The upper level or indoor portion of the market, does have vegetables, fruits, and nuts but also includes a wide variety of locally made cakes, pies, jams, spreads, and pickled everything. You can also purchase locally raised and slaughtered meats, eggs, and cheese. The prices of the fruits and vegetables are unbeatable and while the meat/cheese products might be pricier, I find it’s worth the cost knowing the animals are hormone free and free range.

Having problems getting your kids to eat fruits and vegetables? Take them along with you, let them pick things out, taste them fresh there. I promise there is a world of difference in eating a brussel sprout from a frozen bag, and eating one that was grown down the road and picked fresh this morning. Seriously, good times.

In the next few months, North Carolina’s Pick Your Own Farms will be opening. I will give my personal reviews of my favorite, and trust me, if nothing I am opinionated. I have been to a variety of farms in the area and will gladly share my experiences. We are so fortunate to have these great farms close by, take advantage and turn your favorite good recipes into BEST recipes by filling them with flavors of locally grown veggies and fruits.

2 comments:

  1. I love your post! Thank you. I'll write more later, as I don't have the time now, but thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm twenty pages from the end of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I couldn't have said it better! I'm really excited about arranging my recipes seasonally. I actually got that idea all by my little ol' self yesterday. I still have a few fall/winter recipes to post, but then it's time to embrace the green of spring! Oh yeah! :D

    ReplyDelete